Australian Oyster Blade Steak with Polenta, Portobello Mushrooms, Wilted Greens and Pomegranate Balsamic Vinaigrette
Serves: 6 | Preparation: 15 mins | Cooking: 20 mins | Duration: 35 mins
- 4 x 150 g Australian oyster blade steaks (an outstanding very tender cut of beef shoulder)
- 1 ¾ cups yellow cornmeal making 2 cups of hot polenta
- 4 tbsp butter
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 2 pomegranates
- 2 tbsp 12 year old balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 Portobello mushrooms (roasted)
- 1 cup veal stock reduction Polenta making
- 6 cups water
- 2 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
Steps to Make It:
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a heavy large saucepan. Add 2 teaspoons of salt. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the mixture thickens and the cornmeal is tender, stirring often, about 15 minutes. Turn off the heat. Add the butter, and stir until melted. Now you have your 2 cups of hot polenta.
- Mix the soft, just cooked polenta with 2 tablespoons of the butter and season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread the mixture out on baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Cut open the pomegranates and carefully remove all of the seeds. Reserve ¼ cup of the seeds. Place the remaining seeds in a blender. Puree for 15 seconds, and then pass through a fine mesh sieve. Place the pomegranate juice in a small saucepan and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the juice is reduced by half and coats the back of a spoon. Place 1½ tablespoons of the pomegranate reduction in a small bowl with the balsamic vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil, season to taste with salt and pepper and fold in the reserved pomegranate seeds.
- Using around 2 ½ inch cutter, cut the cooled polenta into 4 discs. Place the discs in a non-stick sauté pan with 2 teaspoons of the butter. Cook over medium high heat for 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and crisp. Remove to paper towels and keep warm.
- Cut the Portobello mushrooms into ¼ inch thick pieces and place in a sauté pan with 1 teaspoon of the butter. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until hot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Quickly wilt the greens with the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and a tablespoon of water in a hot sauté pan and season to taste with salt and pepper. Place the veal stock reduction in a small saucepan and warm over medium heat.
- Right before assembly oil the 4 Australian oyster blade steaks with a little oil then place in a hot pan and cook to your liking.) Then let the meat rest in a covered plate 10 minutes
- Assembling the Dish: Place some of the wilted greens in the center of each plate. Lay one of the polenta discs on the greens and top with the remaining wilted greens. Arrange the Portobello mushrooms on top of the greens. Lightly spoon some of the pomegranate vinaigrette and pomegranate seeds over the mushrooms and around the plate. Top with the Oyster blade steak and season with cracked freshly ground black pepper.